Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Nobody is perfect


Here's what some people don't understand -- flaws, like beauty, are largely in the eye of the beholder.

I've been thinking about this for quite a while, the introspection spurred by several events. Some of them are my own experiences and some of them are others' that I have observed. So many times, people are so hurt that you either think or operate differently than they do, they will think of you as flawed. Even worse than that, they'll try to convince you of it, too.

I'm here to tell you that it isn't true.

I'm here to tell you that sometimes it's okay to be selfish. There's a difference between being selfish and being self-centered in that selfish can be temporary, whereas self-centered rarely is. Sometimes you're worn down by constant demands that are made by loved ones and/or coworkers. Hell, sometimes you demand too much of yourself. It's okay to take a step back and breathe, because here's something that took me too damn long to learn -- it's okay to say "no" to people. You can say no to hanging out if you want to stay in. You can say no to a phone conversation if you know that you'll just be dead air to the other end of the line. You can say no to favors. If your friends know you well enough, they'll back off. They know as well as you do that if they had a crisis in the middle of the night, you'd still show up with no hesitation. Needing time to yourself is not synonymous with being a jerk.

It's okay to re-prioritize your life even though some people may not make the cut... and it's okay not to miss those people, too. Usually it means you've made the right decision. You'll get nostalgic occasionally, but it's mostly nostalgia for the fun or the happiness you had with the people in question. In our everlasting instinct to want to think the best of people, our memories turn to the happy times when we reminisce. If you've ever been upset over the end of a crappy relationship, you know how this goes. People change. You change. As the age-old proverb goes, change is the only constant.

Speaking of which, it's okay to change. You are not betraying anyone by growing as a person (and if they act like it is a betrayal, seriously, it's time to re-evaluate your social circle). Life is too short to pretend to be something or someone you're not just to appease other people or keep from hurting their feelings. Some people want to travel, others are homebodies. Some people want to get married, some will never get out of their party animal stage. Some people want kids, some people don't. Some people need friends outside of their marriage, others are perfectly content with their spouse and their family.  It's okay to be any of these things, as long as you don't lie to others -- or yourself -- about who you really are and where your heart truly is.

Last, but certainly not least, it is okay to be blissfully happy -- and SHOW it. This should be a "duh" but I find so many people being Debbie Downers in response to other people's happiness lately.  As a sweet friend of mine said recently, you may as well be waving an enormous flag that says, "I'm miserable!" when you put down someone else simply for being happy. If someone is incandescently happy, don't you think you should be happy for them too?  Don't you think that they might have walked through the fires of hell to get to their happiness? Don't you think that if you focused a little bit more on yourself and how to escape your struggles that you'd eventually find your own happiness (and want to shout about it from the rooftops)?  I mean, I know it takes less effort to sit, sulk, and snark (and if that's what you choose to do, then I sincerely pity you) ... but what will you ever truly accomplish with your life if that's your attitude toward someone you claim to love who is happy?

So, that little tangent over with, here are my faults.

  • I prefer the company of my husband over anyone else in the world. That's part of the reason I married him. I'm not sorry that I love him with my whole being. 
  • I prefer not to die within ten miles of my birthplace. I want to experience somewhere new and meet other people. I don't want to commit to one place unless I have to. I'm not sorry that I want to experience other places instead of living on the same street as my entire extended family. 
  • I happen to think that there are a few core rules of friendship you simply don't break, and if you do break them, you need to have the balls to own up to your shitty behavior and apologize before you're forgiven.  I'm not sorry that I have a backbone.
  • I'm a radically different woman now than I was a year and a half ago. I'm an entirely different creature now than I was several years ago. This has cost me several friendships that were flaky from the beginning and a couple of family ties that made me ashamed of my own blood. I'm not sorry that I'm strong enough to cut toxic people out of my life.
  • I'm posting this so that other people might read it and empathize with my point, having been there themselves. I'm not going back to edit it, tweak it, or take it down because I second-guess myself.  I'm not sorry for having an opinion.  
  • ....and you shouldn't be, either.


20 comments:

  1. THIS IS BRILLIANT. I need to learn this: "because here's something that took me too damn long to learn -- it's okay to say "no" to people." I don't know how to do that. I need to learn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jen! Sometimes it's hard to say "no" but MOST of the time friends and family will understand, and then you'll wonder why you stressed it so much to begin with! I've always been afraid of letting people down, but most people are really accepting of the fact that sometimes I have a lot on my plate too and I just need some "me" time :)

      Delete
  2. Yes. I love that you posted this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to hug this post and give it presents and take it to a fun movie and then stay up all night, giggling with it and drinking hot cocoa. IT IS AWESOME.

    My favorite part:

    "Last, but certainly not least, it is okay to be blissfully happy -- and SHOW it. This should be a "duh" but I find so many people being Debbie Downers in response to other people's happiness lately. As a sweet friend of mine said recently, you may as well be waving an enormous flag that says, "I'm miserable!" when you put down someone else simply for being happy."

    But really, the whole thing makes me want to pump my fist in the air and shout, "ROCK ON, BEX!" The only reason I'm not doing that is because other people in the house are asleep and I don't want to startle them. But I am totally going to suggest this post to Bonnie to be included in the next Weekly Awesome for This Is A Woman.

    (I do have one tiny quibble with you, though. You say it's okay to be selfish, and then you go on to list a bunch of things that don't have anything to do with being selfish, in my book! Of course it's okay to say "no" if you need to. Of course it's okay to stay home or to not answer the phone. It's even totally okay to NOT do every favor that's ever asked of you. If you did them all, you wouldn't have the energy to do the important ones WELL. So basically I'm agreeing with you...I just think you're being sensible when you do those things, not selfish!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU, Bethany! That means so much to me! I just imagined you shouting and fist-pumping late at night and I giggled to myself.

      And I *totally* understand your quibble -- and I agree! In our definition, it's SENSIBLE to do these things, because we are people who LOVE other people but absolutely need recharge time to function without being grumpy (well, at least *I* do). It makes sense to me because I know that I wouldn't be a Negative Nancy at a social gathering because I overextended myself... who wants to be around that?! Recharge time for me benefits myself AND others.

      I feel like I was raised with such emphasis on helping out others -- Mom always stressed doing acts for others you love even if it's not something you want to do. You do it because you love them. Now, in retrospect, she was probably telling me "clean your room to save me the stress of doing it because YOU LOVE ME" ('cause I was a typical kid that way) but it stuck with me throughout life and it caused me guilt anytime I ever thought about saying "no" -- it took me a long time to learn that wasn't *actually* selfish. I think I phrased it that way in the post in case other people felt saying "no" and recharging was still categorized as selfish.

      I'm so glad you enjoyed the post! :)

      Delete
  4. I read this post as bethany put it on fb....I am fated to read it....I have felt for years now like a circus performer living under others expectations.....and these time suck friends that I couldn't rid myselof...ugh. You have yourself figured out. Thats awesome, I heart this post. You are so genuine anf it's beautifully written. Now if only I could stop backtracking in my own sea of regrets.... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU for your feedback and for stopping by! :) It's hard to feel like you might disappoint people, but I've found that as cliche as it is, you really *are* your own worst critic, and people we love are far more understanding than we give them credit for sometimes.

      And stop that regretting! Haha. What's done is done and there is only now! :)

      Delete
  5. Bethany sent me too and I'm glad she did. I'm off to share this with my friends now because many of them need to read these words too. Thank-you for sharing from the heart and not being afraid to post this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for stopping by! I'm glad you enjoyed the post! Sometimes you can only let a rant rattle around in your head for so long until it has to come out, you know? :)

      Delete
  6. 8 gazillion thumbs up. Except my keyboard doesn't have that ascii character. ive grown changed a lot as well and sometimes you don't realize its occurring till the change is complete.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this! I have done many of the things you mention with respect to cutting out friends and family but not without huge amounts of guilt. It's not like I miss those people because I decided to remove them for a good reason but then I hear things like life is short, let bygones be bygones and I second guess myself.

    Thank for re-affirming this!

    (clicked through from Bethany's share on FB and so glad I did!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to feel guilty for cutting people out, too! It takes a long time to get over that. Once you feel like it's a little easier to breathe, bit by bit the guilt dissolves. It took me a WHILE to get here, I assure you. Life really is too short to pretend to be something you're not. Change is a constant and life waits for no one.

      Thank you for stopping by and for your kind words!

      Delete
  8. Exactly! It's like you're in my head or something!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's kinda cozy in here. Can I make you some tea?!
      Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete
  9. 1) HOW DID I NOT KNOW YOU HAD A BLOG. :( I guess I really AM out of it, blog-wise these days. alas.

    2) I agree with Bethany... the things you listed, I don't see them as selfish, though I can see why you put it that way (and probably some people might see those things as selfish).

    3) I feel like I know myself pretty well & I've always had a sense of what I "need" - but as I get older those things HAVE changed and it can be hard to face that. like, letting go of people. changing ideals. etc. thanks for the reminder that I just gotta do it ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. Ha! I've been asked this a lot over the past couple of days. I have an EXTREME on-again, off-again issue with blogging (and I have for years). As such, I never promote my blog. It's just here for me to talk into space when it can't fit in a 140-character tweet. :)

      2. I understand. Unfortunately, however, I am acquainted with people who believe that if they need you, you have to be there or your name is mud. I think a lot of people know at least one or two people like that.

      3. Thanks for the comment love! :) It's strange how much we change and don't realize it until we look back at ourselves...

      Delete
  10. Hi Bex! I think it's super funny that I did not know you had a blog! I think a lot of the 7 days crew have blogs, for some reason it never occurred to me to check. (Doh!)

    This post is fabulous!!! I am going to bookmark it and come back and read it whenever I'm feeling guilty for being me. I am always inspired by people who can say what needs to be said, and say it well!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are love :)

 
site design by designer blogs